Sunday 20 August 2017

Al-mmmm-odd feta (AKA Almond feta)

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend! I spent this weekend playing around with Jackfruit. On my first attempt I failed miserably, or as Nathan kindly put it, "it's edible".  I don't want edible, I want delicious and so this will be my new food stuff to conquer! Jackfruit is really high in protein and vitamin B (which alot of people are deficient in) as well as having a lot of vitamin C. It is also low in fat and can be used as a pulled meat alternative! So back to the shops I will go, on an adventure to obtain more of this marvelous fruit until I perfect my recipe. So rather then sharing a Jackfruit recipe with you today, I will give you my almond feta recipe, that will be used in tomorrow's recipe "Vegan Morrocan vege balls with Couscous".

Almond feta is a great staple food to keep in your fridge! It tastes delicious  and though rather odd, can replace normal smooth feta and ricotta in any normal recipe. It can also be a butter alternative on a salad sandwich or is great just on a piece of toast with some fresh tomato or avocado for breakfast or on crackers for a snack. I also use it to add flavour to a lot of my recipes, so it is a good thing to keep around.



Almond Feta

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup of soaked almonds (whole, no need to take skins off)
  • 4Tbsp of lemon juice
  • 3 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
  • 2 roasted cloves of garlic (you don't have to roast these, you can use raw, but the final product has more flavour if they are roasted first)
  • 1 tsp of finely ground salt
  • 3 1/2 tbsp of filtered water
Method
  1. Place all ingredients into the small Cook processor bowl with mini-blade. Pulse for 20 seconds, scrape down sides and repeat until the ingredients start to become sticky enough to form a ball.
  2. Place in fridge for at least 5 hours before consuming, or overnight.

As always, the cook processor is not needed if you have a good food processor. It is just what I use, because I think it is fabulous!

Back to the kitchen for me! Signing off,

Love Mandy M

No comments:

Post a Comment